November 4, 2012

"Cloud of Saints" Craft


We made a "cloud" of the Saints this year for All Saint's Day. My kiddos just loved it -- yes, mostly because there were markers (!) and scissors (!) and glue (!) -- but also because they were fascinated with hearing about the Saints' lives and seeing a visual representation of them up in Heaven with Jesus.


Even I couldn't resist sitting down and coloring a few pictures myself. ;)


We (well, mommy) chose a blend of familiar, favorite Saints and some that are new-to-us.


I'm leaving it up for the month of November as we learn about these heroic men and women of the faith.


This activity is pretty self-explanatory and doesn't take any prep work or planning besides simply printing off the coloring pages and having basic art supplies at hand. (This mama's kind of craft!) I've included the links to the pictures we used if you wish to use them as well:

Jesus
Church building
Virgin Mary
St. Joseph
St. Kateri Tekakwitha
Blessed Mother Teresa
Blessed John Paul II
St. Elizabeth of Hungary
St. Charles Borromeo
St. Martin de Porres
St. Therese of Lisieux
St. Gianna Beretta Molla
St. Nicholas
St. Josephine Bakhita

Supplies needed:
- Large white paper (could also use parchment paper)
- Construction paper
- Scissors
- Crayons/markers/colored pencils/paint
- Glue
- Tape
- Cotton balls (if you have a paper plate handy, you may want to squeeze the glue out on to the plate so the kids can just dip the cotton ball into it)

Tip: if you use white school glue for the pictures, be sure to use sparingly and only around the edges. A few of our pictures got ruined because the glue made all the color bleed out!

Note: if you are looking for something more basic for the 2-4 year old crowd, we've done this simpler version in past years with great success.


Linking up to Equipping Catholic Families, Our Favorite Things


10 comments:

  1. As a teacher I saw the prep students do something like this in religious class and found it very cute. It is a good way to start introducing them to special Saints.
    I enjoyed reading your blog and I am following you from the hop. I would love for you to follow back.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/2012/11/pray.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a neat idea for learning about the saints that have gone before us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful project, it's was so great that you added the links for the pictures. Thanks for sharing at my Our Favorite Things Link Party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I featured your craft in this week's link party. http://mylifesatreasure.blogspot.com/2012/11/our-favorite-things-link-party-22.html
      Have a great week and God Bless.

      Delete
  4. Such a creative idea for learning about the saints! I am sure my 3 year old would enjoy doing this:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love this craft...the pictures are awesome and I love how the kids got enthused about these awesone saints. Thanks for linking up at equippingcatholicfamilies.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I'm adding it to my Liturgical Celebration List!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Erika, your Cloud of Saints Craft turned out great! It's a great visual reminder for your children of the holy men and women who've gone before us.

    ReplyDelete