December 2, 2010

The need for interpretive authority in Christianity

Today Fr. Longenecker discusses "Clear and Simple Scripture" and the lenses we use to interpret the Bible.

"All [Protestants] read the Scripture through a lens. They all rely on a theological tradition and a theological bias which helps them filter, interpret and analyze Scripture. My point is that there is nothing wrong with this. What's wrong is that they pretend that they don't have this theological bias and a denominational filter in place."

2 comments:

  1. I know I shouldn't be commenting on this, but I absolutely love that!
    P.S. I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is OK -- I hope you are well also. :) I am hanging in there -- harried by the Christmas season and trying to slow down to drink in Advent. But otherwise well. :)

    ReplyDelete